Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Leaders in Training


August 6, 2012

This year we will be working through Doorposts’ Plants Grown Up study. I can’t call it a curriculum because although there are sections with activities and projects to do, we will mostly be studying God’s Word to see what He has to say on each of the characteristics. I have been excited to use this study with my children (of course the girls will use Polished Cornerstones) since I first heard about it almost two years ago. Not having been trained to be a Godly woman by my parents I felt ill-prepared to train my own, and felt I needed a little guidance from a seasoned parent (okay a lot of guidance).

Though the name comes from Psalms 144:12-15, the whole study is based on 2 Peter 1:5-8. So as I was preparing my schedule for the new “school” year I was pleased to see the first unit of study was on Leadership. We have been telling our son that he is an example for his sisters; that they watch him and imitate what he does and says; that he should be modeling proper behavior. That never seemed to register with him.

He of course would need his own Bible for all the Scripture he would be researching, so my husband and I planned a day to take the family to the local Christian bookstore to purchase one. We did our research and ran the choices by our son. After picking the Bible he wanted, all that was left was to wait for the shopping trip. That day was today.

One of the mini-studies is on Overseeing Household Duties. Today would be a busy day; in addition to our normal morning activities, I had a doctor’s appointment. Everything needed to get done before we could meet Daddy for lunch and go to the store. So I was going to exercise my managerial skills and delegate the morning routine to my son. Time to let my son exercise his Leadership muscles. I let him know that it would be his responsibility to make sure everything was done by the time I got home. I let Grandma know the children were expected to complete their tasks after breakfast and that The Little Man knew what to do. I left the house knowing I would come home to find everything in order.

Three hours later I come home to find my son still in his pajamas playing with his sisters. I hurriedly (the appointment was not supposed to take three hours – now I was running behind schedule) took a look around and decided things looked good from where I stood. I quickly got shoes on my daughter’s feet, told my son to go change, and wished my Mom a happy birthday. As we were walking out the door I asked my son if he got everything done. He assured me he made sure his sisters cleaned their room and brushed their teeth and that everything was taken care of. I should have asked for more detail but I didn’t. I was floating on the satisfaction that I had a budding leader on my hands.

As I sit here writing this my husband’s words ‘Trust but verify’ are ringing in my ears. Upon returning home with two cranky little girls and one rammy boy, I discovered that the only thing he made sure was done was that his sisters brushed their teeth. The bedrooms were and mess, the bathroom had not been wiped down and he did not do his Monday chore. Good thing we have many an activity to do to help develop the household management skill.

I thought about letting the unfinished tasks go until Tuesday but decided he would only learn to put off until tomorrow what he should have done today, so off he went to clean the rooms and complete his chore.

LE'ADER, n.
1. One that leads or conducts; a guide; a conductor.
2. A chief; a commander; a captain.
3. One who goes first.
4. The chief of a party or faction; as the leader of the whigs or of the tories; a leader of the Jacobins.
5. a performer who leads a band or choir in music.

“And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.” – 2 Peter 1:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment