Search This Blog

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Second Mile Club


June 18, 2012

While at the Christian Homeschool Association of Pennsylvania’s (CHAP) convention this year I stumbled upon a daily devotional for children formatted like Our Daily Bread. I had started reading devotionals from Our Daily Bread to the children over breakfast but stopped because they simply were beyond their ability to understand and relate to. I missed that time together and I found that without starting our day in Bible study and prayer we do not have the proper mindset to get through it. So I’ve been looking. I didn’t want a full-blown Bible study program (we are going through Doorposts’ Plants Grown Up and Polished Cornerstones – so that was covered (more on that later)). All I wanted was something I could do in five minutes while they ate their cereal.

Enter Keys for Kids. Now each morning we gather on Daddy’s & Mommy’s bed and read our devotional, discuss the questions and say a little prayer asking God to help us fulfill His will that day. I love having that time back and the kids love the interactiveness of it.

The devotional the other day was entitled Second Mile Club based on Matthew 5:38-42. We happened to have the much beloved cousin staying with us for the week so it was good for her to hear The Word too. After reading the passage, the short story, discussing the questions and praying, I asked each of the four children what they could do go the extra mile. Much beloved cousin was going to sweep the floors for her Mom. My son was going to get his sisters’ blankets in addition to their chairs the next time we settled in around the computer to watch a “God video”. And the girls, well they are still working on it. I congratulated each on their excellent idea and was getting ready to hop off the bed and get on with the day when further discussion among the children brought me back. They wanted to start their own Second Mile Club. What a great idea! We discussed what that would look like and decided we would look for opportunities to put our plan into action.

The rest of the day was filled with four children not only cooperating with each other and Mommy; but, going the extra mile. I’d like to say the idea took hold but the next day while shopping I had to remind my son that he was now a member of the Second Mile Club. His response? “I quit”

Oh well, we’ll keep praying and practicing.

“Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.” – Matthew 5:38-42

ENDU'RANCE, n. [See Endure.] Continuance; a state of lasting or duration; lastingness.
1. A bearing or suffering; a continuing under pain or distress without resistance, or without sinking or yielding to the pressure; sufferance; patience.
Their fortitude was most admirable in their presence and endurance of all evils, of pain, and of death.
2. Delay; a waiting for. [Not used.]

No comments:

Post a Comment